History of Manora Fort
The fort was built by Maratha ruler Serfoji II (1777 – 1832 CE) in 1814 – 1815 to commemorate the successful advance of the British over Napoleon Bonaparte (15 August 1769 – 5 May 1821) in the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. The fort acted as a residence for the royal family and also as a light house. A stone inscription reads “a friend and ally of the British to commemorate triumphs of British Arms and downfall of Bonaparte”.
The inscription inside the tower states that Serfoji II constructed this memorial tower, to commemorate the British victory over Napoleon Bonaparte. In 1964, the Nayaka throne was captured by Ekoji, also known as Venkoji, the younger half-brother of Chatrapatti Shivaji, Thanjavur there upon became the capital of an independent branch of Maratha Empire established by Shivaji.